Monday, October 23, 2006

Rain in the Wrong Place

Apparently, we need this rain, but we need it to be about fifty miles upstream from here. According to what I think I understand from my friend, Terry, the watershed for the Thames Valley Water Authority is upstream around Oxfordshire.

We are going to have a major thunderstorm this afternoon (about the time that we have Rush Hour tonight) if the weathercast is accurate. The problem is that, although we need the rain, we need it up where the reserves are held not as much down here in London.

Oh well! I guess the person who accused me of having been "Anglicized" last week was right! I was talking to someone last week when they accused me of having become anglicized. "What does that mean?" I asked.

"That you've learned to complain about everything." They responded. It is either too hot or too cold. To wet or too dry... I think, more accurately, to be anglicized is to be able to think about complaining. To actually do so would be a breach of some decorum that I have yet to suss-out fully.

I hope that wherever you are today you have nothing to complain about. (Or, indeed to think about complaining.)

Don Bergquist - 23 October 2006 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, UK

No comments: