Wednesday, February 15, 2006

The Rains Have Returned to London

The mornings have been wet for the last couple days. Luckily, the days turn-out beautifully. It appears that the rain seems to want to start right after sunset and then drizzle lightly until just after sunrise. I am cool with this! It is only half a mile to the office and with just a light drizzle, the bike ride is not too bad.

I have taken to riding the circuit around the river at lunch time and then again when I get out for the day. It is a pleasant ride. If I don't stop in at the pub when I ride, I can generally make it in about a half-hour. Unfortunately, since the barge walk is not paved, I cannot ride it while it is wet so I have to ride along the A308 and not along the river over in Middlesex.

Oh, I have noticed an interesting weather phenomenon. It seems no matter which side of the river I am on I am riding with a head-wind for the past few days. It is almost like some kind of linear hurricane. When I am riding into Kingston on the South of the river, the wind is coming out of the east. When I am riding into Hampton Court along the A308 the wind comes at me out of the west. And as I am going through the village of Molesey the wind comes directly up the A309 from the south.

Well, I hope wherever you are today, the wind is at your back.

Don Bergquist - 15-February-2006 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, United Kingdom

No comments: