Saturday, February 04, 2006

The Animal in London

Last night, The Animal went Inter-Continental!

My neighbors back in Lakewood gave me the nickname "The Animal" after their St. Patrick's day party. Apparently they were impressed with my ability to store away beer. Okay, I guess I should mention here that my neighbors are a bunch of college kids half my age.

There is no trick to drinking people under the table really; it just takes a bit of practice. And Practice I did last night! As usual for a weekend, I went to the pub. One of the barmen suggested that we head into Kingston to another pub for a change so we did.

There was a tonne (note the British spelling) of people there. It was packed! There is not much to tell about the Druid's Head, but it was fun. Oh, yes! And some woman flirted with me on my way back to the table from the loo.

I was crossing the main upstairs bar area when I decided that it was a bit warm so I peeled off my jacket and was carrying it back to the table. As it hit the mid-point, a woman reached-out and put her hand on my arm. So what could I do? I stopped.

She never said a word. She just started walking her fingers up my arm. [She couldn't think she knows me. Could she?] She then rested her hand on my shoulder. "I'll give you about a year to move that hand." I said. I would have flirted back, but the guy whose lap she was sitting on didn’t look like he was enjoying it as much what she and I were. I smiled at the table and continued my trek back to my friends.

After a few beers with that lot, I headed back to the King's Arms. They had to work this morning and wanted to get back home.

The usual crowd was still there when I returned. We chatted of this and that over a few more beers. We played the "What song would be your theme if you were on a sitcom?" game until about midnight when the publican kicked us out. He wanted to close-up and go to bed.

The hotelier from the Liongate Inn was one of the people at the tables and he didn't want to end the party yet. So the party repaired to the hotel across the street. At the bar in the Liongate, the hotelier poured Leffes for everyone. The party was still going strong at three this morning when everyone seemed to recognize the time more-or-less simultaneously.

It's good to have friends who are well connected. At three this morning I really didn't feel like facing the sub-zero temps for the long ride home so I took a room for the night at the Liongate.

This morning, I got up, had the Full English Breakfast and rode home. I have no idea what I am going to do today, but I think it may involve going into London.

I hope you are having a great weekend wherever you are.

Don Bergquist - 04-February-2006 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, United Kingdom

No comments: