Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Old Habits...

It's not only the old habits that die hard. Yesterday on the way into the office I stopped off at Seven-Eleven for a cup of coffee. Without thinking (it was only five AM after all), I reached into my pocket, retrieved my wallet, and seeing I had insufficient coinage to buy the coffee, handed the guy the smallest bill I had. The guy looked at the fiver and asked if I was trying to be funny or something. I retrieved the five-pound note, got the other wallet out of my briefcase in the car, and handed over a five-dollar-bill.

Last night, on my way home from the Home Owner's association meeting I made a left out of the parking lot of the church where we have the meeting and almost immediately remembered to drive on the right. (In truth, I wondered why they had put the road signage on the wrong side of the road first.)

I guess I am saying that you can get used to almost anything. Things you enjoy, you get used to more quickly. I enjoy being in London, so I have grown accustomed to saying "cheers" to people instead of "thank you." Someone asked if I got homesick. I did. You bet! But it was mostly for the people and the ones I love back here (SAGA!!!) and very little for the place. You can get used to anything if you are in good company, and the friends I have made in London have made my acclimatization go pretty smoothly. (No comments to the contrary are necessary! You can read back entries on this blog if you want contraindicative evidence.)

I hope wherever you are you are surrounded by people who make your day go a little more smoothly!

Don Bergquist - 21-February-2006 - Lakewood, Colorado, USA

Editor's Note:
This entry was originally a political screed talking about how contradictory the president's trip to photo-ops all across the country to promote the conservation of fuel is. Don was quite correct. If the president wanted to promote fuel conservation he could have stayed at home and set an example, but that would have been logical.

Oh, he also made some astute points about how it should be no surprise that the president attempted to appoint a crony to head-up the maritime oversight board who just happens to be connected (as in a former CEO) to the company from the Dubai company that he has suggested would be a good company to make sure that no dangerous stuff comes across our borders through our ports.

This, not being a primarily political blog by nature, the editorial staff felt these comments were out of place.
-Editor

No comments: