Sunday, February 26, 2006

Midnight Musings

One of the things I may have mentioned at one time or another on my blog is that I am not, generally speaking, the sort of person who can sleep on an airplane. I have, occasionally been able to when sitting in first class (or business class - when headed to London) but even sitting up front is no guarantee.

I have no idea why this is. It can't be the noise, the red-eye to London is dead quiet once the meal service has been done and the lights have been dimmed. I have noise canceling headphones (What a wonderful invention!!!) that get rid of most of the ambient cabin noise and I've tried sleeping pills on some of these flights in the past.

I mention this because it is about midnight (in the eastern time zone where my flight left from) and I am sitting here, tired, but unable to sleep. I've finished the book that I brought with me for the early part of the flight and will probably get up and walk to the back galley and stretch my legs in a minute.

I've played a couple crossword puzzles on my PDA and will probably watch a movie a little later on. Three hours down, five to go. Have I mentioned that I really don't enjoy this part of the whole "Travel Experience"?

My seat-mate is sleeping fitfully. He keeps snoring himself almost away and then turns this-way-and-that to get more comfortable and falls asleep again. Lucky guy! Well, it's time for a stretch.

I hope wherever this evening finds you you are well!

Don Bergquist - 26-February-2006 - Northwest Airlines Flight 32 Somewhere over the North Atlantic

No comments: