Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Living Abroad

Looking back over my blog last evening (which I do periodically) it struck me how many times I have waxed poetically about the fun and the benefits of living abroad. I highly recommend it to everyone. If you can contrive to live abroad for a while, anywhere, do so! You'll learn so much about the world, your country, and yourself.

But take a precaution before you do: Learn ALL the tax ramifications before you go!

I am still trying to suss-out exactly what taxes I owe and to whom for the two years I was abroad… it's not easy. I have two offices of a large, international tax firm working on my taxes for me and even though they are working for the same company, they cannot agree on what taxes I have paid, let alone what the actual liability is. (Or was…)

I have a feeling this is going to go on for a while now. I do miss the old days when I could file my taxes as soon as I got my W-2 and have my return back in time to buy myself a small birthday gift, but I would not have traded the time I spent in the UK, the friends I made, and the adventures I had for all the frustration sussing-out my taxes has become!

Wherever you are today, I hope you'll have an adventure, experience life, travel! (Or at least make plans to do so!)

Don Bergquist – April 22, 2008 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: