Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Wellies

This time last year I was noticing that everybody in the UK seemed to be wearing them. I was cycling so I really didn't need them, but was glad that I had big tires with a fairly aggressive tread on my bike. This year I am wondering where I can get a pair.

The snows we have had were really pretty. An inch here, an inch there, it was really nice. But with the warmth between the snows, the park is a complete mud trap. I almost hate taking Saga for a walk because I just know that she will want to go out and find the muddy spots and will track it back into the house.

Dopey me! Saga hates the wet. She avoids the mud. Now if only I could. This morning, walking in the dark, I slipped and almost fell over backward on a place in the path where the macadam had long-since worn away leaving a large mud patch barely covered by a layer of loose gravel.

Granted, the galoshes would not have prevented me from slipping this morning, but it would save so much time trying to scrape the mud off the shoes I wear to walk Saga! I have one pair that I keep by the door that are so mud-stained that I can't wear them for anything else until I spend major time on them with the shoe cleaning/shining kit that I have.

But I have no time for that this morning. I have to get to the office.

Wherever you are today, I hope that the path beneath you is dry and solid! (…or that you have a good pair of wellies!)

Don Bergquist – March 19, 2008 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: