Sunday, March 30, 2008

Springtime in the Rockies

Ah! Springtime in the Rockies!

The sun is shining, the crocuses are blooming, the daffodils and tulips are pushing their heads up to see the sun and will soon been in bloom themselves. The temperatures are pleasant. In short, it is a lovely day for a walk in the park with the dog, or a drive in the foothills.

No! Wait a minute! That was yesterday!

In a turn of the weather that is so common here in Colorado this time of year, Saga and I were met by a half-inch of snow on the grass when we went out for our walk in the park this morning. It was a surprise.

Our visitors came by last night; Saga was well behaved only begging for treats when she knew that daddy wasn't looking. We had a pleasant evening of games, conversation and snacks. Then this morning I look out on a bleak, cold, white morning.

So, of course, I had to toss the cameras back into the car and head back for contrast pictures of the places that I shot yesterday. This is why we never plant our gardens for spring here in Colorado until Mothers' Day. (…and that's our Mothers' Day, the one in May; not the one that they celebrate in the UK in April...)

But it is nice to dream… I've already started stalking the garden centers looking at what I am going to plant in my patio area this year. I'm looking forward to planting a garden again… it has been a couple years, after all!

Wherever you are today, I hope your spring is progressing well!

Don Bergquist – March 30, 2008 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: