Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Watch It!

The fact that I am writing to you today is more due to luck than anything else. I admit it. I am here not because I am a good driver but because I was lucky!

Driving home last night, I fell victim to a total tosser who cared more (apparently) about getting home quickly than watching what they were doing. It happened at the interchange between Santa Fe and Hampton about ten last night.

I was on my way home from my Monday night class and having just made the turn (from Santa Fe Northbound) onto the entry ramp (on a protected green arrow); I was accelerating to merge into the traffic on Hamden when the idiot came up the entrance from Santa Fe Southbound blowing right through the yield sign, and nearly clipping my right-front fender. He was no more than a few inches from me when he squeezed his obnoxiously oversized Cadillac SUV into the space between my car and the one in front of me.

It was all I could do to keep from slamming on the breaks in reaction and having the person behind me slam into me. The idiot then proceeded to change lanes (despite the fact that the two lanes would merge into one, the one he and I were already in) without signaling – or apparently looking – and attempted to pass the car which was in front of him, now in front of me. He was unsuccessful and had to merge back into my lane (again without signaling) so that we could all merge into Hamden.

The sad part about it was that the wanker had two children in the car. (He had the idiot boxes in the backseat showing cartoons so perhaps the children do not know how badly their daddy drives!)

Wherever you are today, please share the road and watch what you are doing behind the wheel.

Don Bergquist – March 11, 2008 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: