Saturday, March 15, 2008

The New Digs

As you may know already, the company I work for has just moved from Downtown Denver out to the Denver Tech Center. While the distance from home to the office has changed by about ten miles, the time it takes me has inversely changed by about fifteen minutes. I’m driving further but spending less time doing it.

There are only four traffic lights between me and the office; that’s less than five miles of local, surface roads! The rest is all highway driving. It is a really much nicer drive too! Going to work, it is dark, so there is not much in the way of scenery. The return trip, however, is wonderful! C470 is up on a ridge with the Front Range spread panoramically before me.

Unfortunately, there is no good mass-transit option. Mass transit in Denver is designed to bring people into town from the suburbs or between the Tech Center and the downtown area. To go from the suburbs to the Tech Center would mean a trip to downtown as an intermediary stop. Instead of a thirty-minute drive, it would be about 2.5 hours of buses, trains, and waiting rooms. Not really a viable option.

The workspace is nicer too! There is more light and it is open and airy. I’ve moved from a cramped office that I shared with three people to a more spacious work area (cubicle) with far more desk space and room to spread out my work. The cubicle has two walls that are whiteboards and tons of desktop area.

I’ve dedicated one of my whiteboards as an art wall… (though as I drew it, I use the word “art” completely without bias and in the strictly non-aesthetically judgmental way) the other one I’m using for keeping track of projects and messages.

What the heck am I doing writing about this on such a lovely Saturday morning? Saga has been in twice while I have been sitting at the computer as if to point-out how lovely it is outside. I think, I will go and take a walk with her in her park.

Wherever you are today, I hope that you have a lovely day!

Don Bergquist – March 15, 2008 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: