Friday, March 28, 2008

A Sad Note Of Passing

A couple years ago, in A Fond Farewell, I wrote of the passing of “Skipper” Chuck Zink, from the children’s show, Skipper Chuck’s Popeye Playhouse. This morning I received a note on my blog that the musical director that I had mentioned, “Uncle” Don, has passed away.

On the show, Skipper would banter with “Uncle” Don at his Hammond Organ. Uncle Don would play music and the kids would sing along to silly kids’ songs, it was the kind of things that was very popular back then that I cannot imagine happening these days.

It is another sad day for people of my demographic who originated (or lived) in Miami in the late fifties or early sixties. My sincerest condolences go out to Keith and his family for their loss. I thank them for sharing “Uncle” Don with us.

…And Keith thanks for the memories this morning!

Wherever you are this morning, I wish you happy and fond memories of your childhood.

Don Bergquist – March 28, 2008 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

Editor’s note:

I could not find any pictures of the show as I recall it, but at this link:

http://www.tvparty.com/lostpopeye2.html

you will find some old publicity shots of the show (some of them before my time) I hope you enjoy them.

djb

No comments: