Sunday, March 02, 2008

Gather Ye Rosebuds...

It cannot be truer that the poem says. You have to get out and enjoy the day while you have the opportunity. After a day whose temperatures were fair and lovely, I went to bed with the windows open. The cool evening breezes were pleasant. When I got up to see what Saga was whimpering at (not anything I could see) the grass was still green and the night winds, while a bit colder, were still pleasant.

At four this morning, when I woke-up, it was white and wintery outside. The March Loin, apparently, missed his cue. But he is now with us.

The footstool I used yesterday while sitting in the hammock chair after my walk along the creek in the park is now covered with a couple inches of snow. The pleasant time spent petting the dog and enjoying the clemency of the day, now blown away by the same cold wind that was blowing the snow around.

I walked around the property with my camera after having taken Saga over to her park. The snow has already frosted the trees and shrubs. It is a lovely morning, but so very different than it was yesterday.

The park is blanketed under a good deal of snow; there is no sign of the rabbits and prairie dogs that drove Saga so wild only yesterday! They have returned to their dens and warrens to sleep off the return of winter. I think that is an excellent idea. I have returned to my own cave and will probably spend the day snuggled under the duvet, watching movies on television.

Wherever you are, I hope you have a relaxing day!

Don Bergquist – March 02, 2008 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

To the Virgins, to make much of Time
Robert Herrick. 1591–1674

GATHER ye rosebuds while ye may,
Old Time is still a-flying:
And this same flower that smiles to-day
To-morrow will be dying.

The glorious lamp of heaven, the sun,
The higher he 's a-getting,
The sooner will his race be run,
And nearer he 's to setting.

That age is best which is the first,
When youth and blood are warmer;
But being spent, the worse, and worst
Times still succeed the former.

Then be not coy, but use your time,
And while ye may, go marry:
For having lost but once your prime,
You may for ever tarry.

No comments: