Thursday, June 01, 2006

A Realist's View of London

Optimist (OP tah mist)
n.
1) One who usually expects a favorable outcome.
2) A believer in philosophical optimism.

Pessimist (PES ah mist)
n.
1) One who usually expects an unfavorable outcome.
2) A believer in philosophical pessimism.


Realist (REE ah list)
n.
1) One who is inclined to literal truth and pragmatism.
2) A practitioner of artistic or philosophic realism.

Practically speaking, an optimist sees the glass as being half full; a pessimist sees the glass as being half empty; the realist knows that it doesn’t matter how much is left in the glasses the other two are going to stiff him with the bar bill!

I bring this up because I have recently decided that the time had come for me to be a realist. As an optimist, I used to think how good it would feel when I was out riding my bike. As a pessimist I know that it will be windy, cold, or raining at some time during my ride. I now realize, as a realist, that both are true and that every driver in London was aiming for me once I hit the road. It is wonderful being able to get out there and ride, but I really prefer places that are closed to cars.

Some tosser came by me today on my way to work (and although he had a clear view of the empty road ahead, tried to squeeze me off the road when he came past me. I have no idea why the drivers here do not seem to understand that the line painted to their left divides their lane from the bike lane. As long as I am on my side and they are on their side everyone should be happy.

Oh well… that is my rant for the day! I hope you have a safe and pleasant day today!

Don Bergquist - 01st June 2006 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, United Kingdom

No comments: