Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Geezer

Geezer

n. Slang

An old person, especially an eccentric old man.

This weekend at the Poyntz, the football was on the telly and there was a loud and rowdy crowd watching the game. (If you have never been in a pub to watch the crowd watching footy on a lovely Saturday afternoon, you have no idea what you're missing. It is an interesting place to watch people! But I digress...)

At one point, I needed to brave the crowd to make my way to the loo. As I was trying to press through the fans gathered in front of the big screen, I was met by a wall of people that seemed impassable. Suddenly, a guy that I had just passed yells "Oi! Make way, geezer coming through."

Now, I will admit that I am older than most of the guys who were watching the game, but not I'm that old! I turned and looked back and said "What?" but his attention was back on the game.

When I returned to the table, I mentioned the incident. Good news all! If someone calls you a geezer here, it is actually a compliment! I mean, heck. I see geezers all the time in Miami... They wear black socks with their sandals.

Nope! Not here! That is not what it means here. Apparently, here it is a complimentary term used to signify a man. As in "he's a right geezer" which means he's a nice man. Or as they would say in Minnesota "a regular guy!"

So, to all of you wherever you are today, I hope someone calls you a geezer! (Unless you're a bird!)

Don Bergquist - 06th June 2006 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, United Kingdom

No comments: