Sunday, June 25, 2006

Hail

The weather was lovely yesterday (well, most of it!)

I did make it up to Mount Sanitas yesterday! The temperatures were warm and lovely, the breeze was enough to cool you as you climbed. Yes, the day was perfect! Until I was about a hundred yards from the car. Then the sky clouded, the wind kicked up and it started to rain.

Before I was back to the car it was spitting pea-sized hailstones. I got in the car and drove towards home. But, as I was making my way south along Colorado 93 through Boulder, the hailstones had grown to the size of golf-balls. I took refuge in a building that was on stilts with barking below to wait out the storm.

forty-Five Minutes later I was on my way again; the storm abated. There was water everywhere! The trees had had their leaves knocked off them and there were branches in the road. In places, the road was under a couple inches of ice pellets! At every intersection, the water was rushing across the road as if rivers had suddenly formed.

By the time I got home, I discovered that the storm had left a couple inches of ice pellets all over my garden. There was an inch of rain in the gauge. My neighbors said it had rained here for thirty minutes. Ah! Springtime in the Rockies!

I hope wherever you are today, the weather is a bit less drastic!

Don Bergquist - 25th June 2006 - Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: