Friday, November 14, 2008

First Snow

They've been playing up the fact that this morning's storm is the first snow storm of the season. It is cold and blustery outside and Saga decided that she really didn't want to sniff-out everything in the park this morning. It was to wet and cold!

What a difference from a year ago. One year ago this morning I was waking up in Isandlwana, South Africa. It was a lovely place and a very moving place, once I learned the history of the defeat of the British at the hands of the Zulu at Isandlwana. (The movie Zulu - through which I have still not been able to sit without falling asleep - is about the battle the next day at Rorke's Drift, a few miles away.)

Last year it was hot and muggy, though the scenery was lovely. I was struck by how dark it gets there at night. There are practically no lights once the sun goes down! This year, I am sitting in the warmth of my home in Lakewood watching the first snow of the season fall. It's coming down pretty steadily, but because we had such a warm week up until last night, there is little accumulation other than on the grassy areas. Still... It is a good day not to have to be out and about!

Wherever you are today, I hope that you are warm and cozy!

Don Bergquist - November 14, 2008 - Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: