Saturday, August 30, 2008

Stop And Smell The Roses

A few years back, I went to Kelowna, BC (Canada) for a couple weeks on business. This was back before they had those bad wildfires. I remember it as being a lovely city; there on the shores of Lake Okanagan. Every morning, on the way to the client's office, my travel partner and I would leave the car parked at the hotel and walk the five blocks to the client's office.

The city had this park on the shore of the lake and along the route. The park had a lovely rose garden ringing it and in full bloom while we were there. Each day on the way in, I did what I always do when I pass a rose garden, I stopped and sniffed. Then one morning, the friend who was with me on the trip tossed her head back and laughed the first time I did it that trip.

"I've never seen anyone actually do that." She said. "I thought that was a metaphor."

Never having realized the cliché of it all, "I just love the smell of roses." I explained.

I think of this event every once in a while, like this morning while walking the dog... This morning the rose bushes planted near the parking area are in the last throes of the summer blooms. They still smell good but the blush is definitely off the roses.

I think the metaphoric and the literal sense of the saying is apropos today as I am spending quality time with Saga, enjoying a leisurely morning with my dog, my coffee, and my paper. This afternoon, I believe Saga and I may go up into the hills. Whatever we do, it will be our choice.

Wherever you are today, I hope you're enjoying your day!

Don Bergquist - August 30, 2008 - Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: