Sunday, August 17, 2008

A Brief Respite

It has been a wet and miserable weekend. Well, it would have been miserable had I actually wanted to go out into it!

The rain started late Thursday night. By Friday morning, the rain was causing traffic problems and the entire area was under a flood watch.

A brief respite in the rain on Friday night gave me the opportunity to empty the rain gauge and record that we had gotten just over half an inch of rain that day. By Saturday morning, there was another half-inch of rain in the gauge and after emptying it, I wished I hadn't. I decided to leave it to see how high it would go. Saga and I took a brief walk (she hates the wet) and then snuggled in for a day of napping, watching movies on television, and doing a bit of light housework.

The rain stopped for an hour or so just after lunch time and Saga and I went out to see what the water levels in the lake in her park looked like. The creek was swollen and fast, the trees around the lake had been beaten by the lake had a layer of leaves and needles floating on it.

As the rain resumed, Saga and I returned to rainy day mode. With temperatures hovering in the low fifties and high forties, I decided to test the heat.  I usually wait for the first of September to do this, but with the temperatures cool and the weather not giving me a reason to go outside, I figured it was as good a time as any. The heat kicked in immediately and brought the house to a nice toasty temperature. that done, I returned the controls to "Cool" and marked that off my September to-do list.

Saga was obviously bummed about being indoors as much as she was; it was after all the weekend, her daddy was home and yet, he hadn't opened the door for her so she could go lay out on her deck in the sun. And what was with all this water falling from the sky? Why would her daddy want to do that? What gives!?

This morning the air is fresh, and the skies, while still overcast. are clearing. The weather man says that we can expect more rain this morning (to add to the nearly two inches in the gauge) and then, some time after lunch, the skies should clear and the rain should be ending until some time later in the week.

I took advantage of the respite in the rain this morning to walk around and look at the greenery. The lawn has turned so green and lush! The droplets on the aspen leaves made me want to run out with my camera to get some shots. Ah! Don't you just love the aftermath of a good rain?

Whever you are today, I hope that you're having a good day - and good weather, however you define that term!

Don Bergquist - August 17, 2008 - Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: