Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Morning News

One of my guilty pleasures is the morning news. I love getting up early and seeing what has been going on for the past eight hours while was asleep. It comes on earlier than the papers arrive and sometimes it contains a surprise or two.

This morning on the various radio and television news that I consume daily I learned that Alaska, the highest consumer of federal government hand-outs per capita, is having a shake-up in their politics. Apparently tired of being a laughing stock because of the corruption in their state and federal politicians, they are going through an unusual anti-incumbent phase.

But who do they choose to put up as an alternative to their senator who is under indictment for corruption? A recent immigrant from (of all places) Florida. Florida, that bastion of fairness and forthright politics!

I have a right to knock Florida for its corruption, I was born there, lived there for nearly a quarter of a century, and still have relatives there... I understand that it has not changed significantly since I left. The idea that anyone would find a Florida politician less scandalous than the home grown variety says a lot about where that person lives!

I wish them the best, though. It must be hard for them to make it with nothing but the scenery, the oil money, the tourism money, the $12,000 government handout, and the long summer days. Perhaps a slightly less corrupt political climate will make it easier to make it through those long winter nights!

Wherever you are today, I hope your days are lovely and your politicians are honest!

Don Bergquist - August 13m 2008 - Lakewood, Colorado, USA

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yep, sounds about right. And only a Floridian would be crazy enough to move to Alaska. But think of all the fresh fish... though it'd never compete with stone crabs! -N