Wednesday, August 06, 2008

London On My Mind

Sitting at my desk yesterday, I received an email from a colleague.

"What do you think I should do to get between the two offices (London and Winnersh) when I am there next month?" she asked.

I wrote back with train schedules, a link to the train company (South West Trains) and the best way to walk between the hotel that she will be staying at in Surbiton and the office in Thames Ditton.

In addition, I told her that it would cost £9.10 for a same day return ticket if she wants to leave after 09:00 or £9.60 if she wants to leave for Winnersh earlier than that. The trains leave Surbiton about every 1/2 hour, you change twice and the journey takes just over an hour.

Could it be that I spent way too much time in England? Nah! I just made the most of my time while I was there. I can still see in my head all the routes I used to take. All the bike rides I made so frequently over there. And still miss my friends and our time together.

But I am back in Lakewood, and there are no pubs, no tube, and I understand the contempt that our office visitors held for our mass transit. It's good, but it just isn't as good as the system I got used to while living in Surrey. But at least our trains run all night here.

Wherever you are today, I hope that you are well.

Don Bergquist - August 06, 2008 - Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: