Monday, August 18, 2008

A Cry For Help

I couldn't help but laugh... she looked so pathetic!

This morning, far from running bounding from wherever she had gotten off to when I called Saga for our morning exploration of her park, my call to "go outside?" was met with first, a sort of shuffling sound from behind the big comfy chair by the window. This sound was followed by silence, and then by more shuffling then a sort of startled whine.

I peered over the arm of the chair and was met by the sight of a moving lump where Saga's blanket is. Somehow, she had gotten herself lost under the blankets. Trying to get out from under the blankets, she kept bumping into the side of the chair, the side of the couch, the end table, anything that could block her egress did.

The one way she hadn't tried was the one egress she actually had. It was odd that she burrow into her blankets, she normally laid atop them, making a nest out of the big, puffy mass. But this morning, apparently, she was cold (or wanted to sleep in and the light was bothering her) so she had burrowed into the mass of blankets.

Eventually, the scope of the problem became apparent. The "blanket" is an old duvet that she had taken a fancy to. She had somehow burrowed into the duvet cover and was trapped because she could not find the opening. She finally worked her head out only to have the button that closes the duvet cover catch in her collar. I couldn't help it. I laughed. She looked so pathetic!

At the sound of my laughter she looked up at me with an expression that could have withered a weaker man. This look was accompanied by a motion under the duvet cover that was obviously caused by an impatient little shaking of her hind-quarters as if to say "Don't just stand there laughing! Help Me!"

I reached over, undid the button from her collar and out she trod trying not to look pathetic. "I could have made it out without your help!" seemed to be the attitude she was taking. That crisis sorted, we went out for our walk.

Wherever you are today, I hope you'll lend a hand to a friend in need.

Don Bergquist - August 18, 2008 - Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: