Sunday, September 17, 2006

Summer? Spring? Winter?

There is a scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail in which the narrator states:
Autumn changed into Winter; Winter changed into Spring; Spring changed back into Autumn and Autumn gave Winter and Spring a miss and went straight on into Summer. Until one day...

Last summer I would have understood this passage differently than I do now. Last summer seemed non-existent here so I was okay with it but when I walked through The Wilderness and noted that there were Crocuses blooming, I thought to myself: "Whoa! That was a quick winter!"

I have no idea what the deal is, but there are crocuses blooming all over the place. Asking around, I am told that no, this is not normal. There was a house I passed this afternoon on my bicycle ride that had a whole cluster of crocuses sprouting from a gap in the bricks atop their wall. (Had I only had my cameras, I would have a picture of them here today!)

I do not know what is going on. I would expect to see daisies and other summer flowers in The Wilderness this time of year. Not that I mind seeing crocuses. I love them, but does that mean that my allergies are about to explode again? Good thing I have plenty of my allergy medications!

I hope that wherever you are today you are surprised by the beauty around you!

Don Bergquist - 17 September 2006 - Hampton Court, Middlesex, UK

No comments: