Saturday, September 30, 2006

Party Prep

Tonight I am throwing a party. My kitchen smells of garlic, onions and Cajun spice. I was surprised to see Okra in the market at Kingston, but there it was. Good thing too! I had been talking about the jambalaya that I make and my friends wanted to try it.

I guess, tonight's party is a party without a reason, but then when have I ever needed a reason to have a party? I love having my friends over and entertaining. The reception thing was a ruse anyway. It was an excuse to have people over. Let's drop all pretense, it was time for me to entertain again anyway. So, the stated reason for the party is hereby nullified. I would love it if my friends to make it, but their presence or the lack thereof is not going to dictate whether I have fun tonight or not. The people I know to be my friends will be here. The others would be an nice accompaniment but when it comes right down to it are nonessential.

Though the stated reason for the party is likely to be a moot point here it is: we (the friends I know will be in attendance and I) have some friends (? Are they friends still? I guess time will tell.) who recently finalized their civil partnership. We offered to throw this party as a kind-of reception for their recent nuptials. Unfortunately, none of us have heard from them in over a week and so we doubt that the happy couple will be in attendance.

Furthermore, since I have not heard back from a few of the people I have invited, I have no firm count of how many people will be in attendance. I have the sinking suspicion that (in my unerring ability to cook for an army) I will be eating leftovers for a week.

I have made a big pot of red beans and rice and the crock-pot is steaming away full of jambalaya. One of my colleagues who is over from the states has run up to the store to get some makings for pico de gallo his recipe sounds good. I'll have to wait to try it.

This morning I was awakened around dawn by the sound of thunder. There was a pretty fierce storm blowing. Well, so much for the concept of being able to get out and cut the grass in the garden. The day has been beautiful for short patches here and there and I got the last of my party prep in and made my long-circuit ride before the rain set in to stay.

The house is ready for however many guests actually arrive, which should be happening within the hour. With everything in place, I suppose I should shower and make myself presentable to receive company.

I hope that wherever you are, you are making the most of your day!

Don Bergquist - 30 September 2006 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, UK

No comments: