Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Quiz Night

Last night I participated in my first ever British Pub Quiz. All-in-all, it was quite fun!

The team I was on (The Refugees - The Name Foreigners and Don didn't appeal to anyone but me for some reason. But I digress...)was comprised of Angie, Kevin, Terry and me. It was a pretty good team and we played well.

For those of you who have never been to a Pub Quiz, it is kind-of like a game show where the whole pub participates; a really big game of Trivial Pursuits. The way they play the quiz in The Olde Toy is to have six rounds and a table quiz. The table quiz can be worked on before/between the regular rounds and is comprised of questions in some kind of theme. Last night's theme was colorful names.

The six rounds are also themed and contain ten questions each. We used our joker (to double the points we scored in the round) on the first round, a general knowledge set. This turned-out to be fortuitous as it was the round we scored the highest on.

I am sure we will be back in a couple weeks for another quiz night. Why not, we weren't really being competitive... we were there to have fun. (Those of you, by siblings and cousins, who have competed against me at Charades, will have trouble accepting that statement at face value, but we were! My team will back me up on this one! We were playing to have fun...)

The fact that of the six-or-eight teams that were playing we came in second, made it all the more fun. We really did have a good time. But it was a later than I expected it to run. It was hard saying goodbye to the pillows this morning! Still, all-in-all, I am looking forward to the next time!

I hope that wherever you are today you have something you are looking forward to.

Don Bergquist - 19 September 2006 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, UK

No comments: