Friday, September 15, 2006

...in which I rant on the media...

In my continuing series of things I would rather not hear about at all but cause a surfeit of embarrassment when I have to explain to people the "American Mindset," I turn my attention today to the media. Let's face it! Some of the tastes of the American public are inscrutable. Some of things I have been hearing about over here though, well, I am at a loss.

Say it isn't so!

My friends told me about this one (I don't as a general rule) read the London Times so I wouldn’t have known that the 09/11 Commission Report has been turned into a graphic novel! Has America's morbid fascination with the events of that tragic day finally gripped even those of us too lazy to read an actual book?

I had to check this out for myself. There on the London Times Website was the awful truth on display.

Out of morbid curiosity, I followed the link to the site and was treated to a gory rendition of the events of that day. This thing is every bit as horrid as it seems it may be. There are pictures of blood flying out of mouths as people fist fight aboard the doomed planes, balloons filled with awful dialogue and yes, even sound affect words emblazoned across some of the pictures.

I can only surmise that the reason that this was done was because our president wouldn't be able to understand the report otherwise.

Your Bent Is Showing

On the topic of 09/11...

I see that ABC Television has at least added disclaimers to the horrid bit of political tripe they decided to air called "The Path to 9/11." I believe that perhaps ABC has forgotten its claim to be apolitical when it refused to air the Michael Moore Film "Fahrenheit 09/11" because it didn't whish to take part in a partisan political issue.

Excuse me? The buzz is that this mini-series was little more than a thinly veiled slur on Clinton, the Clinton White House and anyone who has ever said anything even vaguely complimentary about the Clintons. While the film apparently stopped short of depicting Clinton actually ASKING Osama Bin Laden to attack us, it must have come close to it. After all Rush Limbaugh and his vacuum sculled ditto-heads actively defended it!

I gather that this is one political debate that ABC had no compunction against joining into.

Come Again?

This story comes to me via the BBC this morning. Apparently, CBS has sunk to a new low. The latest season of Survivor (which as far as I can tell is still popular because it continues to pander to the basest interests of its viewers) has hit a new low; dividing its teams into racial groups of Asians, Mexicans, African Americans and Caucasians.

The BBC showed the proper distain for the idea and theorized that it may lead to the perception that it is designed to play up on racial tensions and further the goals of racists. I see it as just another season of an already horrible show that I have no intention of ever watching. As I have said about this show in the past, I could care less (I guess) I just don't want to go to the effort of trying to.

I hope that wherever you are today, you are having a great day!

Don Bergquist - 15 September 2006 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, UK

No comments: