Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Morning Ride

Ah! Being in the northern climes is certainly an experience. Much like being in the mountains, the northern latitudes are prone to some extreme temperature swings. Today there will be more than a twenty degree swing between the high and the low.

My morning ride is a bit chilly, but if I overdress for the morning ride, then the afternoon ride is uncomfortably warm. So this morning, I bit the bullet and decided that it was better to be a bit chilly on the morning ride rather than a bit warm the rest of the day.

Again I was glad of the fact that there is a very relaxed dress code in the office that I am working in over here. The shorts I brought are getting some use as they have no problem with shorts as office wear. I was a bit reticent at first and as recently as a week and a half ago I was saying that “I would never wear shorts to the office.”

Funny thing about things you would never do, one finds oneself doing things one would never do more often than one would think. All it took was a heat index in the triple digits as we had a last week before the heat wave broke, to change what one would never do into what one would gladly do.

So, with the highs and the humidity predicted to be in the eighties today, (which makes the heat index in the nineties, I am dressed comfortably. The rabbits along the tow path were treated to the sight of my white legs as I rode in. At least the flower show is gone so that I have the path more-or-less to myself these days!

I hope that wherever you are today you are dressed comfortably and ready to face the challenges the day has in store for you.

Don Bergquist - 12 July 2006 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, UK

No comments: