Monday, July 10, 2006

Monday, Monday

Ba-da ba-da-da-da
Ba-da ba-da-da-da
Ba-da ba-da-da-da
Monday, monday (ba-da ba-da-da-da)
So good to me (ba-da ba-da-da-da)
Monday mornin, it was all I hoped it would be
Oh monday mornin, monday mornin couldn't guarantee (ba-da ba-da-da-da)
That monday evenin you would still be here with me

With apologies to The Mamas and The Papas, I have to disagree.

Monday, Monday is a great Because you're not here with me. Well, that is if by "you" I mean all you lot who have been robbing me of my favorite rides with your slack-jawed sauntering all over the bike path on your way to the flower show.

I am so glad that the show is over! This morning I had a lovely ride to the office knowing that I could indulge on one at lunchtime and after work and the only goobers I would have to deal with would be the ones too stupid to even realize that the flower show is over. I asked the other night at the pub if my loathing disdain for the flower show makes me officially a local, it was agreed that it does.

Let me get one thing clear, I am certain that the flower show is not as horrible as I have built it up in my mind. But as long as it is being held in a place without the infrastructure to support the crowds it attracts, they will get nothing but my contempt.

They bill themselves as being the largest flower show in the world (I can accept that as fact. It certainly seems big.) but then it is held in a location that has only a spur line train running to it. (Hampton Court is not on a main rail line.) Additionally, there are on no major roads. The choices to driving to Hampton Court are limited to the A308 and the A308 both of which extend away from the venue in two-lane stretches of road; narrow, country roads.

Finally, the palace, brings all these people over their walls to the show and dumps them back out again, onto a major cycle path with no concern or provision for what happens to them once they have touched the ground outside the palace walls.

All in all, it makes for a horrible experience for the locals. But I guess it is one you must live with to truly appreciate. Which makes it all the more pleasant now that it is over. Oh boy! Only 355 Days until the 2007 Hampton Court Flower Show!

I hope your day has something in it that you can celebrate!

Don Bergquist - 10 July 2006 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, UK

Ba-da ba-da-da-da
Ba-da ba-da-da-da
Ba-da ba-da-da-da

No comments: