Sunday, July 16, 2006

After Party

The party after the Regatta was a blast!

Kevin, always a wonderful host, opened his house to a us as he literally is a scone’s throw from the event grounds where the regatta was held. On our way over, I popped over to the Tesco and picked-up a few bottles of wine, some crisps, and some plastic glasses. We then had nibbles and drinks for a while and listened to music.

Kev also has a wonderful collection (as I have mentioned before) of military headgear from various eras and various countries. Many parties are a chance to get out the hats and helmets and try them on. What a hoot!

The party was rocking upstairs with the wine flowing (and in some cases spilling) and the more coordinated (or should that word be read “drunk”) of us dancing to the music. It was a very fun evening. About nine we called cabs and headed over to the pub.

I understand that there is a prize given for the worst behaved (most drunk) person at the regatta each year. I was afraid at the outset that being the foreigner, I would be pegged to get it, but I understand that I didn’t win “Worst in Show.” I hadn’t even gotten a dishonorable mention.

Oh well, there is always next year!

The evening ran pretty late and was topped off by Champaign where the day had started all those hours ago.

I hope that wherever you are, you have had a weekend that is worth writing home about.

Don Bergquist - 16 July 2006 - West Molesey, Surrey, UK

No comments: