Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Sunrise

What can I say? I love sunrise!

I used to think that this was because I was born so early in the day. Mother used to tell me (in times of dire provocation) that I was put on this earth so that she would never again be able to sleep past sunrise. I got her up at some ungodly early hour to be born and had not let her sleep in a day since.
.
This was not, of course, entirely true. Those of you who didn't know my mom need to know that the character In Damn, Lola, was similar to my mom in that "what ever Jeannie wants, Jeannie gets..."
.
Mom could have slept until noon every day if she wanted to. I have to assume that she didn't want to. She was right. I have always been an early riser. It has paid off too. I get to work ahead of rush hour, I get home before it. I get to see the sunrise...
.
What more could you want?
.
I think the best situation I have ever been in for sunrise viewing was when I lived on Tampa Bay in an apartment on a peninsula sticking into the bay. I could sit in the hot tub with my coffee and watch the sun come up and soak. Later, after work, I would sit in the hot tub with a beer and watch the sun go down. One old bitty once accused me of being there all day.
.
How absurd. Being of Scandinavian descent, this would have been impossible. Exposed to direct sunlight for more than ten minutes, I burn to a crisp. Scandinavians are a bit like vampires in this respect.
.
Well, I seem to have strayed a bit from my original topic. Hope you have an great day!
.
Don Bergquist - 30-November-2005 - Denver, Colorado

No comments: