Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Travelogue Minnesota: Well! That Was Fun!

 It was no record performance, but then I wasn’t setting out to set one. I set out to have a nice drive to Minnesota to get to my parents’ place for a party and to enjoy my first long drive of the season and that is precisely what I did! Well, except for one small hiccup!

There was this wanker of a truck driver in Nebraska that took a somewhat proprietary view of the interstate just outside of Big Spring, Nebraska. I was driving along in the left-hand lane of the interstate and he, without signaling, changed lanes into my lane to overtake the truck ahead of him in the right-hand lane. It was not as though the conditions were so bad that he couldn’t have seen me, he simply didn’t look!

I did exactly what you are supposed to do, I didn’t panic, I just let off the gas, and sidled onto the break-down lane in the left-hand apron. (Honking my horn to let the guy know that I was there as I went…) He realized that I had been in the lane and slowed his encroachment into my lane to allow me to back off and allow him to take the lane. (It’s a choice between a hybrid and a semi – I had no delusions as to who would win that contest!

Let me tell you, I was shaken! It was a couple minutes before my breathing returned to normal.

Other than that, however, the drive was excellent! The weather was as wonderful as predicted. I was treated to not much of a sunrise, but a lovely sunset! It was a perfect day for a drive. I arrived at my folks’ place, and then after a rest, went into town to meet my sister’s shuttle. Vacation is now truly underway.

Wherever you are today I hope that your day has been a moving one!

Don Bergquist – May 23, 2012 – Kensington, Minnesota, USA



No comments: