Sunday, May 27, 2012

Travelogue Minnesota: Packing


Well, I thought I was all packed and ready to go…

That was before I fully appreciated the size of the roast my sister purchased to bring home to her husband. Mary and Corey had apparently seen some cooking program that featured a preparation of a prime rib roast that had the entire (un-butchered) bone. Not being a butcher, I am not entirely sure what this means, but I assume, that this would be the prime rib, the rib steak, and the short rib all still conjoined.

All that I know for sure is that my initial reaction was correct. When Mary told me about the cut the initial reaction I had was to flashback onto the opening sequence for The Flintstones.  If you are of a certain age, you know the one I mean.

The stone-age family drives into a drive-in restaurant and is seen placing an order. Fred then rubs his palms together and smacks his lips in anticipation of the brontosaur ribs he has ordered. The car hop returns with a tray containing rib bones taller than she is and when she places them on the car, it tips over onto its side on top of the entre.

This image is not far off. The wrapped packages are more than three-feet long! The answer to “How is she going to get that on the plane with her?” was answered by her amazingly clever middle brother.

I’m not flying anywhere and have more than enough grocery bags to carry my belongings home in. I gave Mary my duffle. It is carry-on legal (26 x 8 x 9) and the cut will lie (snugly, to be sure) diagonally across the bottom. So, I passed her my bag and repacked this evening before packing the trunk. It’s all done now, I am packed. She has to add her meat to her luggage in the morning before we leave and so, we’re all ready for an early morning

Wherever you are today I hope that your plans are coming together!

Don Bergquist – May 27, 2012 – Kensington, Minnesota, USA

No comments: