Thursday, November 24, 2011

Travelogue South Carolina – Time to Work


For those of us who live in a condo complex (or apartment for that matter) a vacation might include doing work around the house. There is not a lot of yard work for us. No pruning, clearing brush, no yard maintenance. That is all done for us.

That is one of the reasons I really like the occasion to get to do some work around the house. This morning, as the female contingent at the house did work inside, the men stepped out to do some serious yard work.

Guided by Poppy we trimmed some of the saplings that were encroaching on the parking area behind the house; we trimmed some of limbs overhanging the cars; and we hauled out some of the deadfall from the scrub around the perimeter. The change was subtle, but the improvement was definitely there. And the pile of branches we had carried to the swale to be taken away was considerable.

It was good to get out and do something to improve the look of the house and to get to do some serious yard work. After a morning of clearing brush and branches, it was time for each of us to start working on our individual contributions to the Thanksgiving meal.

The kitchen (as is so often the case at the beach) was in organized chaos for much of the afternoon. People prepared turkeys, sides, veggies, salads; all that wonderful preparation going on more-or-less simultaneously made the kitchen a beehive of activity.

For my part, I had drawn bar duty so most of my prep had to be done last minute so I was relegated to documenting the activity, and kibitzing. Nice!

The meal was spectacular. We had turkey a couple different ways and a turkey carve-off. Right! I was informed that Scott is known for his carving prowess and I pride myself on being able to strip a carcass with some expertise as well so we were set to serving-up the birds. While no "winner" was declared, South Carolina, Scott certainly did an admirable job of it and I would not be upset had he been declared the winner.

Finally we all dug in – I meted-out the Pumpkin Pie Frozen Martinis for my contribution. Since one of us (who will remain nameless in dereference to their privacy) declared that their "numb was nose" after finishing one, I do believe they were a success!

After dinner there was time for games and friendship. It was a wonderful Thanksgiving and I am glad to have been included in it. What am I thankful for today? Need you ask? I am thankful for having such wonderful friends – or as I think of them, the family I chose.

Wherever you are today I hope that you have had the kind of day you can be thankful for!

Don Bergquist – November 24, 2011 – DeBordieu Colony, South Carolina, USA


No comments: