Saturday, August 19, 2006

Victorian Faire Day

How romantic and olde world; a Victorian Faire in my neighborhood! Well, it sounds romantic and olde world. It's really just a few old carnival rides that travel around the area, setting-up in the local greens for a couple days so that people can ride them. Not much of a mid-way, no real excitement. Just a Carousel, a Ferris Wheel, Chair-O-Plane (Swinging chairs on a spinning rack) and a bouncy slide.

A couple weeks ago when they were on the Giggs Hill green over here in Thames Ditton, I was too busy to bother with it because my parents were in town. This weekend, Angie said she wanted to go and I have to say, it was much nicer here in the park by the Thames.

We headed over to the park to have a look at the rides and to hop on whatever looked interesting. So, we basically just went on the Carousel. Your humble narrator got chastised by the carnie. Apparently, here in the UK you are not allowed to stand-up in the stirrups on the Carousel. (I mean, not that I had to stand in the stirrups. My feet were firmly on the platform of the Carousel most of the ride anyway!)

I leaned they also do not have brass rings (and apparently never did) on their Carousels. I had to explain the significance of the brass ring comment. Apparently, they were not common on Carousels here in the UK. There are still some in the states that have brass rings. (Follow this link for more on this.) I guess that the phrase "going for the brass ring" would be one that is not generally understood over here, in that case.

After our ride, we returned to Kevin's place and watched V for Vendetta and had dinner. Kevin made some wonderful chili! I ate too much and was uncomfortably full. A nice ride in the evening air on the way home from the pub afterward only made me feel slightly better. I have to watch it. I am going to explode!

I hope that wherever you are today, you go for the brass ring.

Don Bergquist - 19 August 2006 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, UK

No comments: