Saturday, October 08, 2011

Travelogue: Minnesota – Set-Up


...And we’re off!

It’s going to be a full weekend of activity! But I am getting ahead of myself. Lunch yesterday was really fun. We went to the little diner in Parkers and then helped my uncle set-up for the big celebration of the Family Homestead’s 140th Anniversary.

Without being too cliché about it, the diner was okay, but nothing to write home about – plenty of good, tasty food. It is simple, stick-to-your-ribs farm fare; fried chicken, two veggies, mashed potatoes, and macaroni salad. It’s just the kind of thing that you would expect on the agrarian dinner table.

We then made a couple trips between the farm and the church to borrow tables and chairs and set them up in the old straw barn. As the sunset, we were treated to yet another nice, refreshing rain. We avoided it by playing a couple games of Whist. The ELDER Bergquist siblings pretty much trounced the younger set. But then the youngsters table talk a lot less than my sister and elder brother do! I’m just sayin’...

We headed off to Chet’s Lakeside Inn for supper (and if you haven’t dined at Chet’s, you don’t know what you’re missing). It was raining as we arrived, but it was absolutely POURING as we left. Driving home through the torrents was not fun. There were places that the road completely disappeared because of the water, other places seeing at all became tricky as the water came at us practically horizontally in the wind.

This morning it was raining and I was not able to get out and get in my walk and run. (I guess I could have, but it is cold and wet – I think I will give it a miss!) This afternoon, we’re headed into town (Alexandria) to the Cousins Luncheon. This is an annual gathering of the cousins on my Paternal Grandmother’s branch of the family tree. They have been doing this for years. This year is the first time that second cousins (my generation) and beyond are invited to join. It should be cool I have not seem many of these people in quite some time.

I’ve been asked to bring my tablet to use in setting-up a Skype connection to one of the first cousins (my dad’s generation) who is unable to make it. Apparently, they’re going to try and join via the tele-presence. You gotta love technology!

Wherever you are today, I hope that you will be able to spend at least a part of it with family and friends.

Don Bergquist – October 08, 2011 – Parkers Prairie, Minnesota, USA

No comments: