Friday, October 07, 2011

Travelogue: Minnesota – Arrival

It’s almost time to get to work, but before I do, a recap.

The flight was an uneventful one (which is always a good thing) and my sister’s flight actually arrived from South Florida well ahead of schedule so we were out of the airport in good time.

The one catch-point was when the agent at the counter told me that it would be an extra fifteen dollars a day for my sister to be able to drive my rental car. I had been told when I made the reservation that there would not be an extra charge provided we have the same surname (we do), we were both present at the counter when the contract was signed (we were), that we were both licensed drivers (we are) and could both provide proof of insurance (we could). Since this would increase the cost of renting a car by a good percentage (over 50%) we opted out and it was determined that I would drive.

Not a biggie! I like driving!

And the drive was no biggie either. Though it was rather blustery for the time we were travelling, the roads were fairly clear and once we made it out of Minneapolis, we made great time. We stopped to see an Aunt on the way to Dad and Flo’s place and had a pleasant chat. And then it was back on the road.

We pulled in pretty late and had a few pleasantries with the parental units before heading off to bed. All-in-all, a good start to the trip! This morning, I was able to get out early and get a quick walk/run in before the rain started. It has been raining here a lot and the lakes are really high. The road that runs between them (or at least used to run between them) now is about three-feet deep under the surface of the conjoined lake. I can’t imagine that once the lake starts to freeze this winter that it is going to be good for the surface of the road!

Today we are having lunch with my uncle and cousin and then headed out to the homestead to get ready for the party. (There might even be a couple games of Whist in the offing!) But none of that is going to come to fruition if I don’t get off my butt and get to it, so I had best save this and get going. Time to dash... and we’re off!

Wherever you are today, I hope that you’re having a great day!

Don Bergquist – October 07, 2011 – Kensington, Minnesota, USA

No comments: