Thursday, October 27, 2011

Snow Day!

They talked about it for days and yet people here are acting all surprised! What gives?

It is a well known fact that most of the time we have at least one good snowstorm in the month of October. The fall doesn’t seem complete if there isn’t snow on the pumpkins. So why all the surprise?

The media have been saying it would be hitting by Tuesday evening and continuing all day Wednesday. True, We had temperatures in the 80s all weekend, Monday we had clear skies and continued temperate conditions and even with highs in the 60s on Tuesday, it looked unlikely that the predictions would be right.

Then, just like clockwork, the skies started clouding over during the evening rush hour. The air had a definite bite and a bit of moisture to is as Saga and I too our sunset walk. And by the time we retired for the evening it was raining.

Yesterday morning, I saw a quarter-inch of water in the rain gauge under the two inches of snow collected above the funnel. It was cold and snowy. I went out early to sweep the walk so that I could take the dog out for her walk. Understanding that what roads the snow didn’t foul would be closed because the president was visiting Denver, planned on working from home so I stayed warm and snug in my home office, writing specs, taking calls from co-workers, and occasionally getting out to shake the snow out of my trees.

This morning, I can tell you. We had about 18" of heavy, wet snow collect on my deck. Even with my shaking the snow out of the trees (which had not completely lost their leaves), we lost a couple branches. The yard is lovely, though. It is covered in a blanket of white.

Wherever you are today, I hope you will have a lovely day.

Don Bergquist – October 27, 2011 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: