Thursday, October 06, 2011

Travelogue: Minnesota – In-Flight Entertainment

Ah! The Zen of Travel!

The modern conveniences are not just over-rated toys! I do not see how I could have put off buying a tablet for so long! Granted, the smugness of the iPad crowd could go a long way toward my avoidance of the technology. (Do I really need something else to make me seem like a pretentious prick? There are some that think I do that well enough unaided!) But the invention of compact, powerful computing platforms has really made the travel experience much better!

But I have to say I do love my tablet! It has entertained me on the wait for the flight, it has enabled me to check email and write responses to friends (even on the plane), and it is a great way to keep entertained on a long and boring flight.

I bought it so I could have enough books and movies on the 21-hour flights to and from Australia this summer – well, our summer, their winter. But I have used it practically every day and for things I never thought I would. It makes a great alarm clock! (One I can program to wake me differently and at different times every day of the week.) It makes shopping much easier as it helps me organize shopping lists for my weekly trip to the grocers. And, of course, it is a great source of entertainment. I have been reading the books I brought with me to read. (I finished the one I was reading and am about to start-in on another.) God knows how old the sporting event is that they are airing on the plane’s A/V system.

Oh well, who cares!? I have a book to read. Time to get to work on it!

Wherever you are, I hope you’re having a good day!

Don Bergquist – October 06, 2011 – Seat 21c, United Flight 418, Somewhere Over South Dakota, USA

No comments: