Monday, October 10, 2011

Travelogue: Minnesota – Celebration

Coffee and Donuts – Why can’t I stop thinking about coffee and donuts? I should be telling you about the big celebration of the farm's 140th anniversary. The celebration of our homestead was yesterday and it was a blast!
 

Perhaps it is because that was breakfast for me yesterday and there was the last thing I had until late in the afternoon. Perhaps it was what I was craving all the way here. We did stop for coffee about 2/3 the way down and that was good.

And Mary and I had breakfast a little cafe in one of the concourses situated half-way between our gates, but it wasn’t sugar-laden and something about eating healthy in Minnesota just isn’t right! After all, isn’t Minnesota the home of the salad-in-Jell-o, the deep-fried Twinkies, and the concept that pie, cookies, and bars (along with coffee) is lunch? Isn’t it more-or-less the law that in Minnesota Cream-of-Mushroom is a spice?

The party was good. My nephew and I showed-up early to help-out and were pit to work almost immediately. I cleaned the grills and set-up the grilling station, as I had volunteered to flip burgers and dogs. It was odd not being the one who was walking around shooting everyone with the cameras, but being at the grill is just like old times.

The party was a smashing success! The weather held-out and we were able to mix and mingle with friends, neighbors, and family who came to wish us all well. What fun! We could not have asked for a nicer day. The farm looked great and my uncle even got his band to come by and play.

Although I spent the day behind the grills (and had a great time doing it) I had plenty of time to hear the band and to chat with people as they came by for food. A number of people asked if I didn’t mind being stuck at the grill all day, but as I explained, not only was I having fun, I was also in one of the few positions that practically guaranteed me to be able to meet and talk to everyone who came to the party.

My sister and I (who had early flights to catch this morning) had to leave some time after sunset. The party was breaking-up, but it was still going on. I wonder how late it went on for. In a nod to efficiency, I packed everything that I didn’t need this morning and put it in the car. We were ready to leave before the 04:00 departure I had planned.

So, here I am, sitting in the departure lounge waiting to be called for my flight. It has been a good trip – if way too short – and tonight I will be at home again and, hopefully, Saga will be happy to see me.

They will be calling my flight soon so I had best save this and get it packed away. I will have more to write about the departure. The experience in the security checkpoint this morning was priceless!

Wherever you are today, I wish you safe and happy travels!

Don Bergquist – October 10, 2011 – Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Note: My thanks to my cousin Stan for the photographs used in today's blog entry!

No comments: