Monday, October 10, 2011

Travelogue Minnesota – Homeward Bound

The experience in the security checkpoint this morning was priceless! My sister (as everyone in my family does) visited the locker plant at Miltona. (We've always called it that, though for years it has actually been called "Miltona Custom Meats.") It is tradition, you go to Minnesota, you come home with Hot Dogs, Brats, and Summer Sausage from Miltona. It is the best!

Mary did her research and froze everything and had it packaged appropriate for carrying. It was in her carryon and not packaged too deep in her luggage, it was easy to identify what it was. So it was humorous when the TSA Agent had her unpack it all and show them each package. He inspected each package closely and then told my sister that in the collection of steaks and sausages, he was going to allow her to keep only the head cheese. In that split second between the moment what he was saying registered and the time it occurred to her as a joke, the look was, as I said, priceless.

We made it through (yes, Mary got to keep her care package) and went off to have breakfast and to call Dad and Flo before our flight. Then we parted to get to our flights.

The flight is (as all good flights are) uneventful. The plane is absolutely full, and between the drone of the background noise of the plane and the fact that I have been up since before four, I could almost see myself getting some sleep on this flight. Well, almost!

The announcement is that we have been making good time and we are expected in ahead of time. There was a general murmur of assent in the cabin. I wonder why airlines do that. They must know that savvy travelers know that they have built extra time into the flight plans so that planes are (if not always) early, at least seldom late. Personally, if a plane is not at least fifteen minutes early, I count it as late. I know how that game is played!

Wherever you are, I hope that your day today is uneventful – in a good way!

Don Bergquist – October 10, 2011 – Seat 21c, United Flight 227, Somewhere Over Nebraska, USA

No comments: