Monday, November 01, 2010

OCD Much?

It was like watching an episode of Monk, well, except that she was a young black girl instead of a middle-aged white guy. It happened yesterday while I was running errands. I had a list of things to do so I got started early. Around nine-thirty, I realized I was feeling a bit peckish so I stopped into a fast food restaurant for a bit of breakfast.

I walked in and placed my order. (There was not a crowd at that time so there was no line.) Standing, waiting for my order to be filled, I witnessed a strange behavior from the woman who had taken my order.

She walked over to the end of the counter, grabbed the bin containing the catchup packets, and commenced to iron out each packet with the side of her hand and place them in back in the bin all facing the same way. I watched this for a while, not realizing my order had been filled and was sitting under the heat lamps until the manager walked up and handed it to me and then went off to talk to the cashier.

With one last look, I turned and left with my breakfast. I have no idea what that was all about, but what a strange thing to see! I can understand doing that to the cash in the till; I used to do that myself, I still face the bills in my wallet - but there is a reason to doing it to money, it makes recognition of the bills easier and makes it less likely to spend the wrong ones or make the wrong change. But why would anyone do this to catchup packets‽

I guess she had nothing better to do, but when you're resigned to facing catchup packets, you're really scraping the bottom of the barrel - or the plastic sachet, as it were. If that was the case, I can only hope her day got better.

Wherever you were this weekend, I hope that your weekend was full of fun and exciting things to do!

Don Bergquist - November 01, 2010 - Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: