Friday, November 19, 2010

A Capital Idea

Here's a thought: People travelling together might want to pass through the Passport Control and Customs process together. Unfortunately, this is not something that (apparently) occurred to the designers of the Washington Dulles International Airport.

The hallways between the airplane and the Customs Hall are too narrow for people to walk two-abreast, let alone for someone to wait for a colleague to come off the plane so they can walk together. Add to that the TSA Agents who, if you try to wait for someone usher you along and tell you to keep moving.

I write this as I am waiting for my colleague to emerge from the Customs area. She and I were separated because we were sitting in different areas of the plane. I've been here long enough to call my family and let them know I was in town, call a friend who lives in DC, and have my colleague paged a couple times. (As if she could respond in the Customs Area.)

It is frustrating sitting here with nothing to do, so I have pulled out my laptop to jot a few notes. I guess I should really stow this back in my bag and head toward the gate. The flight to Denver will be leaving in about an hour.

Wherever you are today, I hope your day is progressing well!

Don Bergquist - November 19, 2010 - Outside Customs - C Concourse, Washington Dulles International Airport - Washington, DC, USA

No comments: