Saturday, November 20, 2010

Foggy Morning/Empty House

It's after one in the morning; it is a cold and foggy morning. Standing on the island at the airport arrivals side, waiting for the shuttle to the parking area, the near end of the parking structure was only just barely discernable in the orange glow of the sodium vapor lamps.

Making my way around the armory on my way home, in one of the few remaining wild areas on the route, I pulled over to enjoy the unreal calm and silence of the foggy morning. An eerie peace comes over one on a dark foggy morning. Standing there, the first sound that I heard was the whistle of the train at the crossing over on Colorado Highway 2. It was time to go.

Perhaps part of the reason that I didn't want to come directly home was that I knew the house would be cold and empty when I got here. The car is unpacked, the luggage is waiting to be emptied, time to head off to bed.

Wherever you are this morning, I hope your day is starting out well.

Don Bergquist - November 20, 2010 - Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: