Sunday, December 28, 2008

Yule Blog – Another Ghost of Christmases Past

When I was growing up, I had a bit of a reputation of being a socializer. I would strike-off on my own when we were camping and meet people. I’d have friends all over the campground and Dad loves to tell the story of one specific trip to the Blue Ridge Mountains where they could not find me.

He relates that he made the rounds of the campground and every campsite they stopped at on the loop we were staying on, I had been there before them. They heard reports of me stopping to have breakfast with the occupants of the site.

But I come by it honestly. When I spent the time with my grandparents (that I wrote about yesterday) I was able to get out with my granddad when he made his rounds of the farm in his gas truck. Every farm (well almost every farm) we stopped at, they invited granddad in for a cup of coffee. (…and of course, in Minnesota, this would usually include some cookies, cakes, or bars…)

I was never really sure if the invites were normal, or if it was just because he had his adorable (and amazingly outgoing) grandson with him. But then, as I remember him, granddad was always a great guy that had friends everywhere he went.

Okay, perhaps this isn’t really a Christmas story other then the fact that it took place at the holidays when I was visiting my grandparents, but I have been spending the holidays thinking of family. And that is what the holidays are for anyway, isn’t it?

Wherever you are today, I hope your holidays are progressing well.

Don Bergquist – December 28, 2008 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: