Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Snow? What Snow?

Garrison Keilor once read a poem by Margaret Haskins Durber, the poet laureate of Lake Wobegone, Minnesota. I have been reciting it (at request) ever since. A couple lines in an early stanza describe Minnesota as
Where winter stays nine months a year
And there is no spring or fall
And it gets so cold the mercury
Cannot be seen at all
I think of that every time we have a snowstorm here. I’ve spent some time in Minnesota in the winter time (but not much because I realize that I am always free to leave when I want to). I understand that once the snow flies there it is there until March.

Here, on the other hand, it is usually gone by the weekend; unless it fell of Friday that is! And that is the case today. Our snow of yesterday ended around eleven and when Saga and I went out the grassy areas of the park were still under a good half-foot or so of snow, but the paths were practically clear and the road was clean and dry. (That is except where the shade falls all day…)

There are no problems predicted with the rush hour and all is right with the world. The snow has passed and left the front range a shiny, pristine, white! Ah! I love this time of year!

Wherever you are, I wish you a lovely day!

Don Bergquist – December 10, 2008 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: