Thursday, December 04, 2008

It's So Clean!

I guess it is to be expected that the light rail trains are much cleaner and the stations more well kempt than those I grew used to seeing in the United Kingdom. The rail line is only about a year old here... instead of the many (what hundreds?) years that they have been in use in London. For another, Denver is nowhere as large as is the metropolitan London area.

Even still, the difference is striking. The rail stations that I frequented on trips to and from London tended to be plagued by graffiti, collected trash in between and along the rails, and often were full of people (in a quote stolen directly from Douglas Adams) displaying all manner of bodily function, except for actual teeth cleaning.

I think of this because I took the train down to the office today. (The snowstorm made the predicted traffic sound like too much a hassle to deal with.) The trip was pretty easy to deal with. But the one thing that really struck me was how clean and new the whole system seemed. Of course this could be because it is clean and new.

Ah well, the snow is falling, and the coffee pot is calling, I had best get myself a cup and get to work. It is a good day to be indoors and busy.

Wherever you are today, I hope that you will have a great day!

Don Bergquist - December 04, 2008 - Englewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: