Saturday, December 13, 2008

Weekend

So much for announcing my plans of yesterday. One thing led to another and by dint of checking my mail, I got dragged into a lengthy and dull process that ate-up much of my afternoon.

You see, I got a slip in my mailbox that I had a package that had to be collected at the post office. There was no further explanation. Calling the post office (when the finally answered) I was told that there was no further information available.

Argh! The next time I move, I am going to check-out the post office that my mail will come through before even putting a bid down on the property. The line really didn't look that bad. There were only a dozen-or-so people ahead of me when I stepped into line. How was I to know that each of them would average about thirty minutes at the window?

At least my post office isn't like the Thames Ditton Post Office. There a six windows at the counter instead of the two that they have in the newsagent on the Thames Ditton high street. But there are ways that my post office is like the post office in Thames Ditton; I have never seen more than half the windows in either of the two open when I was there! No way! I take that back, I did once see both windows open at the newsagent's. But I'm sure that was an aberration.

So after working my way to the front of the queue, I discover that the package I had to pick-up at the post office was a Christmas card that a friend had sent. The stamp had fallen off of the envelope (or my friend forgot to stamp it) so rather than returning it, they asked me to pay the 42₵ to collect it! Nice!

It is a lovely card, though. Lovely, in fact! A lot of work went into making it. It is almost worth the effort to get it! (I'll be sending the sender an email thanking them for the card!)

So, today I have a lot of things to finish before the big blizzard hits this evening so I suppose I should post this up and get moving.

Wherever you are today, I hope you'll have a lovely weekend!

Don Bergquist - December 13, 2008 - Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: