Thursday, April 13, 2006

Three

The three things I miss most about my home in Colorado are:

My Dog, Saga. I miss her every day over here. It is torturous being over here without her. Dogs are nearly ubiquitous here. You see them in the parks, in the pubs, hooked to stays in the front of the shops.

Yes, most of the dog owners here are pretty cool about it and if you ask they will let you pet their dogs. They will even ask if you have pictures of your dog if you say that you have one. (Yes, I'm enough of a dog fancier that I do carry a picture of Saga or two in my wallet just for such occasions, but hey! I've never asked anyone to buy cookies or candies to support Saga's activities!

My friends. Now, before I ruffle any feathers, I know that my UK Friends often check my blog to see what I am writing about, and I do not for a minute wish to imply that they are not good enough companions, but there are lots of people back in Colorado that I truly miss.

I'd love to have the chance to get all my UK friends together with all my Colorado friends. If I could get my Florida friends to attend as well, boy, howdy! Wouldn't that be one heck of a party!

I think of my friends as the family I have chosen for myself. Your family you're given and you have no choice in the matter. By the same token neither do they. Your friends, on the other hand, are special! They choose to spend time with you when there is no filial connection. They're kindred spirits if not actually kin!

And Saga.

I know, you're thinking to yourself about now, hey! He said "Saga" twice. Well, technically I haven't said it at all... Well not that you have heard recently. I wrote it...

And I have written it a lot more than twice. I mention her as two of the three things I miss most about home because she is one of the big things that makes it home!

Here in London, my company has taken a house for the visitors to this office to live in whilst attached to this office. It is a lovely home! It has four bedrooms, a beautiful, spacious kitchen, a very nice back garden, and it is close to practically anything you'd want to be close to. The problem is that there is nobody that is excited to see me walk in the door when I get there.

I miss that cute little black nose smudging the windows in excitement as I open the garden gate, the way she tries desperately to stay perched on the back of the chair as she wiggles in excitement as I cross the porch, and the way she bounds off the chair and lands in front of the door when the key hits the lock.

What's not to love?

I hope that wherever you are today, someone is excited to see you!

Don Bergquist - 13-April-2006 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, United Kingdom

PS: I also miss the scenery, but that would have made it four things and yesterday was "Four." - djb

No comments: