Sunday, April 23, 2006

Doing Nothing

Dad has a new puppy! His golden retriever, Digger, sired a litter with a bitch in a neighboring state and from the litter, Dad and Flo got Sunshine. She is at that cute puppy stage when everything that will fit in her mouth is a candidate to be chewed upon.

Sunshine is a lovely puppy! Too bad that she is a little too energetic for Saga's tastes! There was a bit of tension between the two but nothing too unmanageable. She bounds along as Dad and Flo go on their walks, and she is always there just in case you look like you need to be licked or have an appendage chewed.

We had a lovely dinner last night at Gene and Judy's. My nephew, Eric, decided to show us one if his talents, standing-up and knocking-down dominoes. The conversation was great and seeing my aunt and uncle again was a hoot!

Of course, as is the custom in Minnesota, they went overboard in the menu department. We had a lovely salad, barbecued chicken, potatoes, Broccoli, and bread. Lovely meal, good conversation, and an overall lovely visit.

I helped clear the table and then brought-out the desert that I had brought; some berries, whipped cream and a pound cake.

Today, I just rested-up. My dad beat me mercilessly in a game of cribbage, then my step-mom and I played a couple games; she beat me too!

After the normal daily activities of Scrabble and cards, we got ready to head out to meet another aunt and uncle for dinner.

My Dad's little brother, Dick and his wife Dianne were celebrating their anniversary (well, it's tomorrow, actually) and have invited us out to dinner. We got ready and trundled into the car. My car - which means I had to remove the kennel from the back seat so that everyone could fit in. We headed-up to The Peak Supper Club. It occurred to me in the car that I have not been to the peak in years! I think the last time I was there was with my Grandmother Bergquist which means that it has been at least fifteen - perhaps as many as twenty years.

My cousins Dirk and Andrea and their three children were also at the restaurant. Dirk and Andrea are also celebrating their anniversary tomorrow so we had a mass-anniversary celebration.

It was good seeing my cousins again and having a meal at The Peak even if it means that I had to listen to my cousin-once-removed, Levi, informing me that with long hair, I "look like a girl!" We had a lovely meal and a wonderful chat and then we headed up to the peak for which the restaurant is named: Inspiration Peak.

Inspiration Peak is the highest point in Ottertail County, Minnesota. It rises a staggering 400 feet above the surrounding terrain, to a head-swimming 1,750 feet above sea level. ( Okay, okay, when I lived in Miami, and later in Tampa I thought this was pretty high, now that I reside at about 6,000 feet it just doesn't seem as impressive.)

While at Inspiration Peak, I introduced Dirk and Andrea's kids to one of my favorite games from youth: Hide. You play the game by telling the kids to go and hide while you count. You then start to count loudly enough that you can be heard. You slowly get softer and then stop altogether. If you see one of the kids looking your way, you say a few numbers loud enough for them to hear. If you play the game well, you can occupy the kids for upwards of half-an-hour while you continue having a pleasant conversation with the grown-ups.

Well, the point of my story was that I really hadn't done anything today. But when I add this to the obligatory nap you have at least once a day at the lake, I guess I was busy!

I hope wherever you are, you have had a pleasant day!

Don Bergquist - 23rd April 2006 - Kensington, Minnesota

No comments: