Monday, April 17, 2006

Friendship

How the hell did I get so damn lucky? I have great friends on every continent I have ever visited!

This entry into my blog is dedicated to my friends; from my oldest and closest friend, Fritz, to my newest friends in the UK and on to the friends that I haven't made yet. I love you all, you enrich and enhance my life! I know what I get out our of friendship... I hope they get even half as much back from me as I get from them!

I know that I have said this before, but the difference between family and friends is that my friends have a choice as to whether they want to associate with me. You're dealt your family and you get what the universe deals you. Your friends choose to be (and to remain) your friends. That is why I love them.

What makes me wax so poetic on the subject of friendship? It is everything! The lovely dinner my friends in Molesey threw my last night in the UK, the overwhelming generosity that they showed the entire time I was there! The generosity and concern shown by my friend who got me a riding jacket after I had my bike accident. The friends who wanted to go out for drinks after the pub closed. All my friends in the UK are great! I love them much and miss them already.

On my way through the airports, Fritz and I chatted a bit and caught-up. I have some friends who are going to a baseball game with me this week, and others who are going to go to have Chinese with me later in the week.

But last night there was an incident that just cemented what good friends I have. My flight was a bit late and I arrived to a lovely house and a dog who loves and misses me. My friends who have been caring for Saga went one better, though... They had opened the windows to make sure the house was aired and fresh for me and there was a lovely Waster basket set in the middle of the freshly made bed upstairs! I was really moved that they would go out of their way to welcome me home - even if they were not actually there when I got in.

I hope that today someone does something for you to remind you that you are appreciated!

Don Bergquist - 17th March 2006 - Lakewood, Colorado, USA.

No comments: