Sunday, April 09, 2006

Cooking For an Army

I'm sorry, I have never gotten the hang of cooking for one or two. I know! I have lived alone all these years; it has never been something that I have gotten the hang of. When I cooked as a kid it was for the entire family. When I was in college, it was for my friends and fraternity brothers who shared the house we rented.

When I got out of college, it seemed that someone was always dropping over. I mean, sure I do make something to eat, sandwiches and the like, that I can make for one. But when I make soups and stews the only way I can cook is to feed an army!

I had friends over last night and we had a great time! I put out a cheese board for starters and we sat in the kitchen enjoying wine, cheese and conversation. Later on, we repaired to the dining room for dinner. The evening was a total joy. Good friends, good food, good wine. It was not until half way through dinner that I realized I had left the garlic out of the main dish! Oops!

After dinner, we took the wine and our glasses and headed up to the living room and continued our conversation until about 21:30 and then called a car to take us into Hampton Court to The King's Arms. We ran into some other friends of ours there and had some more drinks and more fun! What a great night! I am truly blessed to have met such great people wherever I go! Friends like I have made make the occasional complete tosser I come across seem as truly unimportant as they are!

I hope that wherever you are, you have friends who make the wankers of the world fade to insignificance!

Don Bergquist - 09-April-2006 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, United Kingdom

No comments: